DECEMBER 3RD

 



              For more information see https://www.moma.org/collection/works/101550


The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid.  Psalm 18:4

 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.  . . . For He is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto Him.  Luke 20:36 & 38

"Grief, after all, is part of love. Not to grieve, not to lament, is to slam the door on the same place in the innermost heart from which love itself comes."  - N. T. Wright, God and the Pandemic: A Christian Reflection on the Coronavirus and Its Aftermath

 Hope

My friend, Professor William Blissett, (who turned 99 last month), once mentioned that the four candles in the Advent wreath represent Death, Judgement, Heaven, and Hell. I later learned that this tradition originated when the season was more penitential; sermons preached during these four weeks would be centred on The Four Last Things.

 When Bill first told me, though, I balked. Having grown up with Advent candles being lighted for Hope, Faith, Joy, and Peace, I found Bill’s take unsettling and dark. This year, however, with its floods, fires, and pestilence, I wonder if there might be some benefit in trying to reconcile these two different approaches to Advent.

Despite the joyous nature of the season, there are those for whom thoughts of Christmas bring pain and sorrow. Perhaps it is ourselves suffering the grief of loneliness or loss—of a loved one; a faculty, such as mobility, hearing, or eyesight; a marriage; a livelihood.

 In Christ’s story, life and death, joy and sorrow are inextricably entwined. Perhaps, during the Advent season, we need to make room for lament—to name our fears, our troubles, our sorrows, as we lay them at the altar. Then, in time, we can turn to feed our souls at the manger.

 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.  Psalm 18:36

- Alison Goodwin