DECEMBER 2ND

 

-By this point early in Advent our city (and our church building, thanks to Greg Young and Mike Larsen) is well lit up with Christmas Decorations. Simone and I have enjoyed this house in our Norbridge neighborhood for years.


Psalm 13
1. How long, O LORD ? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? 2. How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? 3. Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, 4. And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken. 5. But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. 6. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

The readings for today, especially Amos 3:12-4:5 and Psalms 12 to 14 are rather dark and threatening. In present times I am reminded of the daily reports of health officials. These scriptures are speaking to the people of Israel telling them that they must attend to the word of God and that they are not doing a very good job of it. The health officials are telling us that we must do a better job of protecting ourselves and others from the contagion of Covid 19, and of course, they are right.

The problem for many of our parish community is that the health restrictions interfere with our coming together to learn, to praise God in word and song, and to support each other in our faith journey. Speaking for myself, I sorely miss the opportunity to meet and pray frequently with my fellow believers and to help praise God as a member of the choir (a smaller community that I also sorely miss). Music was a big factor in drawing me back to the church in my early twenties and I particularly miss the sound of a congregation all singing together.

The livestream services that so many members of our parish have labored to first make available and then to continually improve in quality have been an amazing light in this dark time. Even better news is that they will continue to be available for parishioners who are unable to make it to church even in non-pandemic times.

In Advent we anticipate the birth of Christ who has come to save us all.

It seems in this pandemic that we have arrived at a point that we can reasonably anticipate the arrival of vaccines and treatments for Covid 19, even if it won’t be as soon as we would like or could use.

Thanks be to God for the care he gives to us even in dark times.

-Len & Simone Robinson