DECEMBER 23RD

                                     -St. Jude Anglican Church, Arima, Trinidad

 Psalm 150

1 Praise the Lord!

Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens!

2 Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness!

3 Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp!

4 Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe!

5 Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!

6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord!

Today is a special day in the life of my parents as they celebrate their 69th wedding anniversary. They were married at St. Jude Anglican Church in 1951. When I was 13 years old, I started accompanying an Anglican congregation at church services held at the School for the Blind about 15 minutes from my home. A couple of years later we relocated and I was then playing a pump organ for the Anglican Church of St. Michael’s and All Angels. I was amazed and thrilled to graduate to a Baldwin with bass pedals and two keyboards a couple of years later.

During my time as organist I played at many weddings and came to love three psalms that were regularly sung at weddings. They were Psalm 67, 128 and the one that is in my readings today – Psalm 150. While Psalms 67 and 128 were sung with contemplation and quiet melodies, Psalm 150 would be belted out in celebration with a shrill descant proclaiming the last line, LET EVERYTHING THAT HATH BREATH PRAISE THE LORD.

Let us praise and thank God for all that he gives us, life, shelter, companionship and most of all His Son, Jesus Christ, who was born in humility in a manger to a now famous couple, Mary and Joseph. Happy Anniversary!

- Wayne Edwards