DECEMBER 16TH

 

- Active Pass Mayne Island 2020

Psalm 119:49-51, 57-60

49 Remember your word to your servant,
    for you have given me hope.

50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
    Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully,
    but I do not turn from your law.

57 You are my portion, Lord;
    I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
    be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways
    and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay
    to obey your commands.

Psalm 49:1-3

Hear this, all you peoples;
    listen, all who live in this world,
both low and high,
    rich and poor alike:
My mouth will speak words of wisdom;
    the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.

 The scripture readings for today, like all scripture for this season of advent, are rich and very thought provoking.  The few verses I have shared are all from the amazing and time enduring Psalms. The words hope comfort and wisdom speak volumes to me in this time of watching and waiting.

I find the season of advent to be exciting as we again anticipate the birth of Jesus but also reflective as we pray on current and past experiences.

The date December 16th  brings back memories of a time 61 years ago when I, as a young six year old, was faced with the death of my father.  In the last two months of his life, I spent every evening before sleep with him.  We had moved to Calgary the fall of 1959 and lived in a 3-bedroom house… there were 10 of us!!! I shared a double bed with my mom and my dad had a hospital bed in the same room. Mom would put me to bed and I was told to go right to sleep and not to disturb my dad.  Sometimes this is what would happen but on some nights my dad and I would talk.  I remember him telling me not to be sad when he left, or to enjoy my life as he had enjoyed his.  He said he would be okay as he was pretty sure he was going to heaven and I could talk to him whenever I chose.

For many years after his death, I looked upon the time before Christmas with great excitement for presents, gifts, family, Santa and Christmas music.  My priorities for this season have changed and I now look upon it as a time to dig deep into my faith and the constantly changing ministries that God kindly gives me. As I reflect on the world in 2020 and the many changes, we are all enduring, I will share the words I wrote when I first read the scripture for this day.

An end of a chapter for my dad but a beginning for me… all done with faith, hope, comfort and love. Once again watching and waiting but for different things.

Thanks be to God. Amen

-Karen Larsen