DECEMBER 11TH


 

Love the LORD, all his faithful people!

                        The LORD preserves those who are true to him.

                                                                                                        Psalm 31:23

Readings for December 11, 2020                             

Psalm 31        Isaiah 7: 10-25        2 Thessalonians 2:13- 3:5

Advent is an attitude of anticipation as we prepare to allow Christ into our hearts.  Each year Advent brings with similarities in songs, traditions, ways of doing things, however each year we need to be open to the changes in our lives and world that affect our Advent and how we prepare.  These insights we discover over the year, different memories, changed circumstances make it so Advent is transformed yet the same.  I will be missing meeting, singing, rejoicing with my church family and how will it affect the anticipation I have for welcoming Christ this year.  My preparation is quieter and reflective of how Christ can come again into my heart with vigor and hope. 

Psalm 31 opens with words to ponder all year.  “In you, Lord, I have taken my refuge, let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness.”  We do need refuge to enjoy Christ’s peace in our lives. The most familiar verse is five, “into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, Lord, my faithful God” the same verse Jesus says to the Father before he dies.  Meditate what it means to commit your spirit to God, and he will faithfully deliver.  I am learning to trust God more and more, he is faithful.  It has been a long process of growing in faith with setbacks on the way. Every time I walk in faith, I need to confidently on purpose step out of my comfort zone rely on God to reassure me in all parts of my life. 

Isaiah’s scripture is one we hear every year, “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel.” Isaiah 7 verse 14. This passage comes after Ahaz (king of Judah), says to God I will not ask for a sign as it puts you to the test.  I feel that God asks us to purposefully walk to holiness with the true sign, Jesus God with us.  Each year at advent, I reaffirm the promise and hope of the Christ Child by determinedly putting  my faith in Him walking in his ways.

The most heartening to me of the three scriptures for today is 2 Thessalonians 2:13-3:5, as Paul reflects what we all need to do.  The words cut the very essence of our faith, especially this year amidst all the restrictions given to protect us.  “We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as first fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.” These words I commend you to faithfully act upon.  I thank God for your sharing ministry in this world, what a richer place it becomes as we fulfil God’s desire for his people.  We are blessed by so many who allow their first fruits to be savoured by friends, family and strangers.  In this season of anticipation, may God’s message through us bring light and life to our broken world for he will strengthen and protect us from evil as we become more and more like Christ.

May God strengthen your faith, draw you closer, let love grow in you as you follow the example of Immanuel, God with us.  Peace be with you!                                            

 -Greg Young